550 PAVEMENT MARKING PAINT
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
- Furnish and apply waterborne pavement marking paint as specified or as directed. Markings include longitudinal lines, legends (letters and numbers) and symbols.
- Paint is a nontoxic lead free waterborne pavement marking and a non-durable material used for temporary or permanent markings. Select Pavement Marking Paint from the Qualified Products List (QPL).
- Refer to 549.03.
- 550.03.01 Quality Control. Refer to 549.03.01.
- 550.03.02 Quality Assurance. Refer to 549.03.02.
- 550.03.03 Cleaning Pavement Surfaces. Refer to 549.03.07.
- 550.03.04 Quality Control Test Strip. Refer to 549.03.09.
- 550.03.05 Application Equipment. Use vehicle mounted application equipment capable of applying pavement marking paint as approved. Provide access to the paint application equipment for inspection.
- (a) Temperature Gauges. Use temperature gauges that have been calibrated every six months and submit a copy of the calibration certification according to the Quality Control Plan (QCP).
- (b) Footage Counters. Use calibrated footage counters to measure pavement markings. Submit notarized certification according to the QCP.
- (c) Usage Counters. Use material usage counters and printers or measure tanks manually using equipment manufacturer certified tables. Use beginning and ending quantities to calculate thickness of applied lines. Record the quantities according to the QCP.
- (d) Bead Dispenser. Use a pressurized bead dispenser or other mechanical conveying method not dependent upon gravity for uniform application of glass beads for each material dispenser.
- (e) Material Dispenser. Use a material dispenser capable of applying all longitudinal markings at multiple width settings ranging from 5 in. to 12 in. and is capable of cleanly cutting off stripe ends. Reapply the quality control strip whenever the guns are repositioned or adjusted.
- (f) Maneuverability. Use a vehicle that is mobile and maneuverable enough to produce straight lines and standard curves in true arcs.
- (g) Cleanliness. Clean all parts of the equipment of foreign or different colored material prior to introducing a new batch of material.
- 550.03.06 Application. Apply pavement marking paint at the locations and widths specified and as directed.
- (a) Ambient Conditions. Apply material when the ambient and surface temperatures are at least 50 F and rising at the time of application and the relative humidity conforms to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- (b) Moisture in Pavement. MSMT 729. Do not apply material if test is positive for moisture.
- (c) Application Temperature. Temperature of applied material shall conform to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- (d) Glass Beads. MSMT 729. Apply glass beads uniformly across the surface of the stripe at the rate of 7 lb/gal to 9 lb/gal of paint.
- (e) Thickness. MSMT 729. Apply paint at a wet film thickness of 15 ± 1 mils.
- (f) Color. MSMT 729.
- (g) Retroreflectance. MSMT 729. The minimum retroreflectance shall be 150 millicandelas/lux/square meter for yellow and 250 millicandelas/lux/square meter for white.
- (h) New Asphalt or Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) surfaces. Apply two full coats of paint including glass beads on new asphalt or PCC pavement that has been tined or otherwise textured. Apply the second coat as soon as the first coat has cured. Apply both coats before opening to traffic.
- 550.03.07 Curing. Refer to 549.03.10.
- 550.03.08 Observation Period. Refer to 549.03.11.
- 550.03.09 Submittals. Supply MSDS, Product Data Sheets, and QCPs.
550.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT
- Refer to 549.04. Payment will be full compensation for all pavement preparation, furnishing and placing of markings, testing, and for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- Pavement Marking Paint will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price for one or more of the following items.
- (a) Pavement Marking Paint lines will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per linear foot for the color and width specified.
- (b) Pavement Marking Paint Legends (letters and numbers) and Symbols will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square foot.