553 EPOXY PAVEMENT MARKINGS
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
- Furnish and apply two component epoxy pavement markings to roadway surfaces as specified and as directed.
- Epoxy pavement markings are a durable material. Select epoxy pavement markings from the Qualified Products List (QPL).
- Refer to 549.03.
- 553.03.01 Quality Control. Refer to 549.03.01.
- 553.03.02 Quality Assurance. Refer to 549.03.02.
- 553.03.03 Cleaning Pavement Surfaces. Refer to 549.03.07.
- 553.03.04 Quality Control Test Strip. Refer to 549.03.09.
- 553.03.05 Application Equipment. Use application equipment capable of applying two component epoxy pavement marking material, as approved. Provide access to the application equipment for inspection.
- (a) Temperature Gauges. Use temperature gauges that have been calibrated every six months and submit a copy of the calibration certification according to the Quality Control Plan (QCP).
- (b) Footage Counters. Use calibrated footage counters to measure pavement markings and submit notarized certification according to the QCP.
- (c) Usage Counters. Use equipment that is equipped with material usage counters and printers or measure tanks manually using equipment manufacturer certified tables. Use beginning and ending quantities to calculate thickness of applied lines and record according to the QCP.
- (d) Bead Dispenser. Use a pressurized bead dispenser or other mechanical conveying method not dependent upon gravity for uniform application of glass beads for each material dispenser.
- (e) Material Dispenser. Use equipment capable of applying longitudinal markings at multiple width settings ranging from 5 in. to 12 in. as demonstrated by the quality control strip and as specified. Reconduct the quality control strip whenever the guns are repositioned or adjusted after the initial quality control strip.
- (f) Maneuverability. Use a vehicle that is mobile and maneuverable to produce straight lines, standard curves in true arcs, and capable of cleanly cutting off stripe ends.
- (g) Cleanliness. Clean all parts of the equipment thoroughly of foreign material or different colored material prior to the introduction of a new batch of material.
- 553.03.06 Application. Apply to bare pavement or over existing epoxy markings according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Install markings at the location, width, and type of marking as specified and as directed. Do not install markings over longitudinal joints; offset 2 in. or as directed.
- (a) Ambient Conditions. Apply material when the ambient and surface temperatures are at least 50 F and rising at the time of application and the relative humidity conforms to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- (b) Moisture in Pavement. MSMT 729. Do not apply material if test is positive for moisture.
- (c) Application Temperature. Temperature of applied material shall conform to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- (d) Glass Beads. MSMT 729. Apply glass beads uniformly across the surface of the stripe, at the rate of 25 lb/gal of paint.
- (e) Thickness. MSMT 729. Apply epoxy material at a wet film thickness of 15 ± 1 mils.
- (f) Color. MSMT 729.
- (g) Retroreflectance. MSMT 729. Measure the retroreflectance of the applied markings. The minimum retroreflectance shall be 200 millicandelas/lux/square meter for yellow and 275 millicandelas/lux/square meter for white.
- 553.03.07 Curing. Refer to 549.03.10.
- 553.03.08 Observation Period. Refer to 549.03.11.
- 553.03.09 Submittals. Supply MSDS, Product Data Sheets, and Quality Control Plans.
553.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT
- Payment will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per linear foot for the color and width specified. Payment will be full compensation for all pavement preparation, furnishing and placing of markings, testing, and for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.