Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
- Construct asphalt or concrete sidewalks and sidewalk ramps. Ensure that the sidewalks and sidewalk ramps are constructed in accordance with the most recent accessibility guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Curing Materials 902.07 Form Release Compound 902.08 Portland Cement Concrete 902.10, Mix No. 3 Asphalt Mix Section 904 Welded Wire Fabric 908.05 Joint Sealer 911.01 Preformed Joint Fillers 911.02 Borrow Excavation 916.01
- 603.03.01 Concrete Sidewalks
- (a) Excavation. Refer to 602.03.01(a).
- (b) Forms
- (1) Fixed Form Method. Use full depth steel or wood forms. Use forms that are straight, free from warp, and of sufficient strength to resist the pressure of the concrete. Brace and stake the forms so that they remain in both horizontal and vertical alignment. Thoroughly clean and coat forms with form release compound each time they are used. Allow the concrete to set for at least 12 hours before removing the forms.
- (2) Slip-Form Method. Refer to 604.03.01(b), except use 603.03.01(e) for joint construction.
- (b) Forms
- (c) Concreting. Before placing concrete, moisten the subgrade with as much water as it can absorb. Mix the concrete according to 915.03.05. Volumetric batching and continuous mixing will be permitted. Deposit the concrete on the prepared subgrade in successive batches to the full width of the sidewalk. Thoroughly spade along the edges and tamp the entire surface area to eliminate voids. Strike off and screed the concrete to the top of the forms.
- (d) Finishing. Float the surface and apply a broom finish. Do not plaster the surface. Use a 1/4 in. edging tool on all outside edges and all joints.
- (e) Joints. Place joints as specified. Tool or saw dummy joints a minimum of 3/4 in. deep.
- Match adjacent joints in curb or pavement. Place expansion joint material to the full depth of the concrete.
- (g) Expansion Joint Sealing. Prior to sealing, clear dirt and other foreign material from the expansion joints. Ensure that joint walls and all surfaces to which the sealing material is to adhere are surface dry for at least three hours prior to sealing. Do not seal the joints until they are acceptable to the Engineer. Ensure that the surface of the sealing compound is not more than 1/8 in. below the sidewalk surface.
- 603.03.02 Asphalt Sidewalks
- (a) Excavation. Complete excavation, subgrade preparation, and form placement when required, as specified in 603.03.01(a) and (b).
- (b) Placement. Place asphalt mix as specified in 504.03.06. When the sidewalk is not placed in forms, use acceptable backfill material to form an 18 in. wide shoulder for the sidewalk or as specified.
- (c) Compaction. Use an approved roller. In areas inaccessible to a roller, a vibrating plate compactor or hand tamping may be used. In any case, the asphalt mix shall be uniformly compacted. Start compactive effort as soon as the asphalt mix can be compacted without displacement and continue until the material is thoroughly compacted and all marks have been removed.
- 603.03.03 Backfill. Use approved material to backfill sidewalk edges and complete final grading by placing topsoil in landscape areas according to the Contract Documents or as directed. Perform Turfgrass Establishment as specified in Section 705 or perform Turfgrass Sod Establishment as specified in Section 708 over areas of topsoil according to the Contract Documents or as directed.
603.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT
- The payment will be full compensation for all excavation, backfill, disposal of excess or unsuitable material, forms, reinforcement when specified, joints, sealer, compaction, curing, finishing, and for all material, labor, equipment, tools, and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- The removal and disposal of unsuitable material will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price for Class 2 Excavation, which price includes the cost of using suitable excavation as replacement material. When Borrow, Topsoil, or other selected backfill is specified as replacement material, payment will be made at the Contract unit price for the respective items.
- When the existing sidewalk is removed and replaced with a new sidewalk, the cost to remove the existing sidewalk will be incidental to the Contract unit price for sidewalk.
- 603.04.01 Concrete Sidewalks will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square foot of finished surface including sidewalk ramps.
- 603.04.02 Asphalt Sidewalks will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per ton for the mixture placed.
- 603.04.03 Turfgrass Establishment and Turfgrass Sod Establishment will be measured and paid for separately.