705 TURFGRASS ESTABLISHMENT
This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
- Perform Turfgrass Establishment as follows.
- At Final Grade. For areas that are at final grade, establish turfgrass in topsoil or other specified soil substrate to provide permanent vegetation groundcover.
- Not Final Grade. For areas that are not at final grade, or areas that will not be redisturbed for at least six months after seeding operations are completed, establish turfgrass in topsoil, subsoil, common borrow, or other specified soil substrate to provide temporary vegetation groundcover.
- Temporary Stabilization. When it is not possible to perform Turfgrass Establishment, refer to Section 704 and perform Temporary Mulch or Temporary Seed, or as directed.
- Performance of Turfgrass Establishment as specified herein complies with all requirements of the Maryland Department of the Environment for permanent seeding.
Fertilizer 920.03.01 Straw Mulch 920.04.01 Wood Cellulose Fiber 920.04.02 Seed 920.06 SHA Turfgrass Seed Mix 920.06.07(a) SHA Special Purpose Seed Mix 920.06.07(b) SHA Temporary Seed Mix 920.06.07(c) Water 920.09.01
- 705.03.01 General
- (a) Regions. Maryland is divided into Regions by counties as follows:
- Region 1. Garrett, Allegany, and Washington, west of Clear Spring MD.
- Region 2. Washington, east of Clear Spring, MD, Frederick, Carroll, Baltimore, Harford, Cecil, Howard, Montgomery, and Baltimore City.
- Region 3. Anne Arundel, Prince George’s, Calvert, Charles, St. Mary’s, Kent, Queen Anne's, Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester, Wicomico, Worcester, and Somerset.
- (b) Seeding Seasons and Seed Mixes. Perform operations according to Table 1 when soil moisture and weather conditions are suitable, when the temperature is above 32 F, and the soil is not frozen. Cease operations when conditions are unsuitable.
TABLE 1 - SEEDING SEASONS AND SEED MIXES
REGION SEEDING SEASON MONTH/DAY Spring Summer Fall Late Fall Winter3 SHA Turfgrass Seed Mix1 1 3/1 to 6/14 6/15 to 7/31 8/1 to 9/30 10/1 to 11/15 11/16 to 2/29 2 3/1 to 5/14 5/15 to 7/31 8/1 to 10/14 10/15 to 11/15 11/16 to 2/29 3 3/1 to 4/30 5/1 to 7/31 8/1 to 10/31 11/1 to 11/15 11/16 to 2/29 Plus Additive2 Plus Additive2 Plus Additive2 Notes: 1When seeding within 4 miles of a State airport: Use no additives and use SHA Special Purpose Seed Mix in lieu of SHA Turfgrass Seed Mix on slopes 4:1 and steeper, or in designated areas.
2Additive = SHA Temporary Seed Mix
3Approval is required for seeding during Winter. When approved, apply all materials except fertilizer. Refer to 705.03.06(e)
- (c) Nutrient Management Plan (NMP). Soil testing will be performed and a NMP will be developed by the Administration. Conform to the application rates of the NMP and replace application rates of Table 2 in 705.03.03 as required by the NMP. When no NMP has been developed, apply 200 lb per acre of 20-16-12 (83 percent UF with MAP & SOP) fertilizer as the NMP rate for Turfgrass Establishment.
- (d) Nutrient Management Reporting. Record the location and details of soil amendment and fertilizer applications on the Nutrient Management Reporting Form. Submit the Form within 24 hours after applying fertilizer.
- 705.03.02 Modification Request. Submit a written Modification Request to perform seeding during Winter Seeding Season; to install an approved tackifier at manufacturer’s recommended application rates in lieu of wood cellulose fiber to secure straw mulch; or to use Type A, Type D, or Type E Soil Stabilization Matting as specified in Section 709 in lieu of straw mulch and wood cellulose fiber in areas where those mattings have not been specified.
- The Engineer in consultation with the Landscape Programs Division will evaluate the Request. If granted, a notice of approved modification will be returned within 14 days after the request is received.
- 705.03.03 Application Rates. Apply materials according to Table 2.
TABLE 2 - APPLICATION RATES
MATERIAL LB PER yd2 LB PER ACRE INITIAL FERTILIZER per Nutrient Management Plan a, b 20-16-12 (83% UF with MAP & SOP) 0 to 0.041 0 to 200 or one or more of the followingc 38-0-0 (UF) 0 to 0.021 0 to 100 11-52-0 (MAP) 0 to 0.036 0 to 175 0-0-50 (SOP) 0 to 0.041 0 to 200 SEED MIXES; select one SHA Turfgrass Seed Mix, applied to roadsides, facilities, and other designated areas 0.041 200 or SHA Special Purpose Seed Mix, applied to slopes 4:1 and steeper within four miles of a State airport, and other designated areas. 0.041 200 ADDITIVE SEED; when required per Table 1 SHA Temporary Seed Mix 0.006 25 STRAW MULCH 0.826 4000 WOOD CELLULOSE FIBER to secure straw mulch 0.155 750 REFERTILIZINGd 37-0-0 Sulfur Coated Urea (SCU) 0.021 100 Notes: aFor existing topsoil and salvaged topsoil, the application rates will be included in the Contract documents.
For furnished topsoil, the application rates will be developed for the approved source of supply.
bWhen no NMP has been developed, apply 200 lb per acre of 20-16-12 initial fertilizer.
cUF = Ureaform; MAP = Monoammonium Phosphate; SOP = Sulfate of Potash. When application rate of 20-16-12 fertilizer is below 200 lb. per acre, apply UF, MAP, and SOP per NMP.
dRefer to 705.03.06(d) and 705.03.09(c). Apply Refertilizing when included in the Contract documents.
- 705.03.04 Grade Repair. Ensure that soil meets specified grades. Repair any gullies, washes, or disturbed areas that develop before preparing soil.
- 705.03.05 Preparing Topsoil. Provide a uniform and porous surface that is free of debris and weeds as follows.
- (a) Areas Flatter than 4:1. Remove clods, stones, wood, metal and other debris with a length or width greater than 1-1/2 in. in any dimension from the soil surface.
- (b) Slopes 4:1 and Steeper. Track slopes 4:1 and steeper with cleated track equipment operated perpendicular to the slope. After tracking, remove stones, wood, metal, and other debris with a length or width greater than 3 in. in any dimension from the soil surface.
- 705.03.06 Seeding and Initial Fertilizer
- (a) Application Schedule. Apply seed and initial fertilizer after preparing soil. Do not apply initial fertilizer in the Winter Seeding Season from November 16 through February 29.
- (b) Application Equipment. Use hydroseeders, spreaders, drills, or other approved machinery. Calibrate equipment before application. Apply materials accurately and uniformly to avoid misses and overlaps. Do not operate machinery during windy weather that may interfere with uniform application.
- (c) Hydroseeders. Hydroseeders shall be equipped with an agitation system able to keep solids in suspension, and have a gauge to show fill levels and tank capacity. Apply fertilizer and seed mixtures within two hours after mixing. Direct hydroseeding mixtures so the droplets produce a uniform spray. Do not allow materials to runoff or cause erosion, or to blow onto sensitive areas or structures.
- (d) Mechanical Seeders. Mechanical seeders shall be capable of uniformly placing seed and fertilizer at the specified rate.
- (e) Delayed Initial Fertilizer. Apply initial fertilizer at the time of seeding per Table 1, except in Winter. When seeding from November 16 to February 29, apply initial fertilizer during March, and apply Refertilizing in conformance with 705.03.09(c) during April.
- 705.03.07 Mulching. Apply mulch immediately after seeding.
- (a) Soil Stabilization Matting. Refer to Section 709 and install soil stabilization matting in lieu of straw mulch in designated areas.
- (b) Straw Mulch. Cover at least 90 percent of the soil surface with straw mulch. When applied with mulch blower, apply straw mulch to a loose depth of 3/4 to 2 in. When applied by hand, apply straw mulch to a loose depth of 1-1/2 to 3 in.
- Secure straw mulch immediately after the completion of mulching operations by applying wood cellulose fiber uniformly over the straw without displacing the mulch.
- Do not operate machinery during windy weather that may interfere with uniform application. Do not allow materials to blow onto sensitive areas or structures.
- 705.03.08 Seeding Phase Acceptance. Submit a request for Seeding Phase Acceptance when operations are completed. Inspection will be conducted to verify completion, and Seeding Phase Acceptance will be granted at that time.
- 705.03.09 Establishment Phase. The Establishment Phase will begin upon Seeding Phase Acceptance.
- (a) Period of Maintenance. Maintain seeded areas until Final Acceptance.
- (b) Required Maintenance. Perform the following during the Establishment Phase.
- Watering. Apply water as needed to ensure survival of the turfgrass. Apply water to seeded and mulched areas with approved machinery. Do not allow water to cause erosion or to displace the mulch.
- Overseeding. Overseeding consists of seeding and mulching in areas where living turfgrass coverage is 40 percent to 95 percent. When living turfgrass groundcover is not acceptable, perform overseeding as directed. In areas to be overseeded, cut the turfgrass to a height of 3 in. to 5 in. and remove debris that may interfere with seeding. Apply seed mixtures, seed additives, fertilizer, mulch, and secure mulch as specified in 705.03.01 through 705.03.07, but do not repair grade or prepare soil.
- Reseeding with Slit Seeder. Perform reseeding when directed in areas where turfgrass groundcover is less than 40 percent, but soil conforms to 701.03.05 and 705.03.05. Cut the area to be reseeded to a height of 1 in. to 3 in., and remove debris that may interfere with seeding. Utilize a mechanical slit seeder to cut groves into the soil at least 0.25 in. depth. Refer to 705.03.06 and 705.03.07 and apply seed, fertilizer, and mulch, but do not secure mulch.
- Soil Restoration, Tilling and Reseeding. Perform soil restoration and reseeding when directed in areas where turfgrass groundcover is less than 40 percent, or when soil does not conform to 701.03.05 and 705.03.05 because eroded gullies are present or soil grades are not acceptable. Cut the area to be restored and reseeded to a height of 3 in. to 5 in. and remove debris that may interfere with seeding. Refer to 705.03.01 through 705.03.07 and repair grades, prepare soil, apply seed, fertilizer, and mulch, and secure mulch.
- Mowing. Mow turfgrass in areas flatter than 4:1 before the grass grows to a height of 8 in. Use approved machinery to cut to a height of 3 in. to 5 in.
- (c) Refertilizing. Refer to 705.03.06 and apply 37-0-0 SCU Refertilizing as specified in Table 2 at least one month after initial fertilizer was applied. Do not apply Refertilizing in the Winter Seeding Season from November 15 through March 1.
- 705.03.10 Final Acceptance. The Engineer and the Landscape Programs Division will complete an Inspection Report of turfgrass height, color, and percent groundcover. When it is not possible to perform the Inspection, Final Acceptance will be delayed until Inspection is possible. The Inspection Report will be included in the Punch List requirements for the project. Complete the Punch List requirements as directed.
- Final Acceptance will be granted after all operations have been completed, and when the seedlings of turfgrass species have grown at least 4 in. tall, exhibit dark green color, and are least 95 percent groundcover.
705.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT
- Turfgrass Establishment will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price for one or more of the specified items. The payment will be full compensation for all material, labor, equipment, tools, disposal fees and incidentals necessary to complete the work.
- 705.04.01 Turfgrass Establishment, including grade repair, preparing soil, applying soil amendments and initial fertilizer in conformance with the Nutrient Management Plan, seed mixes, seed additives, mulching, securing mulch, watering, overseeding, reseeding, and mowing, will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.
- The use of other materials in conformance with an approved Modification Request shall be incidental to the Contract unit price, and will not be measured or paid for.
- (a) Payment Schedule. Payments will be made according to Table 3 when construction requirements are met:
TABLE 3 - PAYMENT SCHEDULE
CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS PERCENT OF TOTAL CONTRACT PRICE PAYMENT FOR COMPLETED WORK 705.03.01 thru .08 80 At Seeding Phase Acceptance 705.03.09 (a) and (b) and 705.03.10 20 At Final Acceptance Total Payment 100%
- (b) Forfeiture. Failure to complete operations as required in conformance with the Payment Schedule will result in forfeiture of that percentage of payment.
- 705.04.02 Refertilizing will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.
- 705.04.03 Temporary Mulch and Temporary Seed will be measured and paid for at the Contract unit price per square yard.