712 TREE BRANCH PRUNING
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
- Prune tree branches as indicated in the SP 700 Tree Preservation Program, or in the plans. Perform Tree Branch Pruning in conformance with 101.03.02, and Section 120 when pruning is specified within the limits of a Tree Preservation Area.
- Not applicable.
- 712.03.01 General
- (a) Permits. Obtain a Roadside Tree Permit from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Forest Service.
- (b) Tree Preservation Program (TPP). Conform to the requirements of the TPP when developed by the Administration.
- (c) Schedule. Perform operations when weather conditions are suitable. Cease operations when conditions are unsuitable.
- 712.03.02 Breakdown List of Contract Prices. Refer to 712.04 and develop a Breakdown List of Contract Prices for each tree or group of trees in the Contract. Include costs for pruning and completing all operations per tree or group of trees.
- Submit the written Breakdown List within 14 days after Notice of Award. The Breakdown List will be reviewed by the Engineer and Landscape Programs Division for completeness and balance, and will be approved or returned for correction.
- 712.03.03 Maryland Licensed Tree Expert (LTE). A LTE shall perform or directly supervise the Operations in conformance with the Maryland Roadside Tree Law, the Forest Conservation Act, and accepted arboricultural practices.
- 712.03.04 Meetings. Meet with the Engineer, the LTE, and the LPD to review areas, Operations, and the approved Breakdown List of Contract Prices before beginning Operations.
- 712.03.05 Marking. Identify trees to be pruned, and obtain approval before beginning Operations.
- 712.03.06 Equipment. Equipment and tools shall conform to accepted arboricultural practices.
- 712.03.07 Notice. Notify the Engineer at least 10 days before beginning Operations.
- 712.03.08 Operations. The Contract Documents will indicate the trees to be pruned or the dimensions or goals to be achieved by pruning. Meet ANSI A300 standards for Tree Care Operations in conformance with one or more of the following Operations, or as specified.
- (a) Cleaning. To remove dead, diseased, and broken branches.
- (b) Thinning. To reduce the density of live branches; or to remove crossed branches or a codominant leader.
- (c) Raising. To provide vertical clearance to a height of 16 ft, or as specified in the Contract Documents.
- (d) Reducing. To decrease the height or spread.
- (e) Specialty Pruning. To meet the needs of young trees, at planting, once established, pollarding, for restoration, to maintain vistas, or to accommodate utilities.
- 712.03.09 Wood Chipping. Dispose of wood, or chip wood and disperse chips to a depth of 1 in. as directed.
- 712.03.10 Cleanup and Restoration. Avoid damage to existing structures, plants, and turfgrass. Keep turfgrass areas, paved surfaces and sidewalks clean. Restore ruts and damaged turfgrass areas by seeding in conformance with Section 705, or perform Turfgrass Sod Establishment in conformance with Section 708 when directed, before beginning any other landscape operations.
- 712.03.11 Damage Repair. Do not injure vegetation to be preserved. Repair injuries to bark, trunks, or limbs by cutting, smoothing, and tracing the bark in accordance with ANSI A300 Standards for Tree Care Operations.
- 712.03.12 Damage Compensation. Monetary compensation for damage or loss of trees will be calculated and assessed in conformance with the Guide for Plant Appraisal of the Council of Tree & Landscape Appraisers.
712.04 MEASUREMENT AND PAYMENT
- Tree Branch Pruning will not be measured, but will be paid for at the Contract lump sum price based upon the Breakdown List of Contract Prices. The payment will be full compensation for all labor, material, equipment, tools, wood disposal and chipping, cleanup and restoration, damage repair, disposal fees and incidentals necessary to complete the work. If the Administration requests a change, the units and payment will be adjusted on the basis of the approved Breakdown List of Contract Prices.