This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
911.01 JOINT SEALER AND CRACK SEALER
- Sealant material shall meet the requirements of classification Type II according to D6690 as modified by MSMT 404. The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03. Manufacturer’s recommendations regarding heating and pouring temperatures will be used when testing these materials. If a range of temperatures is recommended, the midpoint will be used as the pour point.
- 911.01.01 Silicone Joint Sealer and Crack Sealer. Low modulus, one component compounds. If a primer is required, it shall be as recommended by the sealant manufacturer and be placed on the joint faces following the insertion of the backup material.
- Silicone material, when tested at 73 ± 3 F and 45 percent to 55 percent relative humidity, shall meet the following:
TEST PROPERTY TEST METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Shore A Hardness, at 7 days D2240 10-25 Tensile Strength at 150 % Elongation, psi max D412
45 Elongation, % min D412
700 Adhesion in Peel, lb/in. min Fed Spec
20 Flow, 0.01 in. max T 187 0.3 Tack-Free Time, minutes D2377 20-75
- Each container of silicone sealer and crack sealer shall have a shelf life of at least six months. Material more than six months old shall be retested.
- 911.01.02 Asphalt Repair Mastic. Asphalt repair mastic shall be composed of quality-selected asphalt and/or resins, select aggregates with structural integrity, synthetic rubber polymers, antioxidants, naturally occurring and man-made reinforcing material, and other modifiers. The aggregate and polymer modified binder shall be pre-measured and packaged in a plastic bag, but shall not be pre-mixed. Asphalt repair mastic shall meet the following.
1. The specimen for the tensile adhesion is 3 in. long x 2 in. wide x 1.5 in. thick.
2. The specimen is 6 x 4 in. at 20 mm thickness. The test is run at 77 F and bent over a 1 in. mandrel to 180 F over 10 seconds.
MATERIAL PHYSICAL PROPERTIES TEST LIMITS Asphalt Repair Mastic Shelf Life — 2 years Pot Life — 12 hours maximum VOC, g/l — 0 Asphalt Binder Cone Penetration, 77°F (25°C) D5329 60 Maximum Cone Penetration, 122°F (50°C) D5329 120 Maximum Softening Point (R&B) D36 195°F (93°C) Minimum Aggregate Aggregate, Factory Blended in Compound D5444 100% Passing 5/8 in.
8% Passing #200 Maximum
Mix Design Tensile Adhesion, psi (kPa) D5329
15 psi (83 kPa) Minimum,
0.5 in. (12 mm) Minimum Elongation
Impact Testing, 5/8 in. dart, 2 in. (50 mm)
Diameter. 1 in. (25 mm) Thick Specimen
D2794 No Cracking, Chipping or Separation at 6 ft-lb, at 20 F Flexibility D5329
No Cracking or Loss of Aggregate Adhesion
911.02 PREFORMED JOINT FILLERS
- M 153. Bituminous fiber type shall meet M 213, with the bitumen content determined according to T 164. The weathering test is not required for either type of material.
911.03 PREFORMED JOINT INSERTS
- M 220.
911.04 PREFORMED POLYCHLOROPRENE ELASTOMERIC COMPRESSION JOINT SEALS
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03.
- 911.04.01 Roadway Seals for Concrete Pavement. M 220.
- 911.04.02 Bridge Seals. M 297. The minimum depth of all seals measured at the contact surface shall be at least 90 percent of the minimum uncompressed width of the seal.
- 911.04.03 Lubricant Adhesive. The lubricant adhesive shall be compatible with the preformed joint seals and concrete. The Engineer will determine if consistency is suitable at the time of installation.
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03 showing that lubricant adhesive meets the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Viscosity, D1084, Method B, CP min 25 000 Film Strength, D412, psi min 2000 Elongation, D412, % min 250
- Each container shall be plainly marked with the manufacturer’s name or trademark, lot number, and date of manufacture. Do not use lubricant adhesive after nine months from the date of manufacture.
911.05 NEOPRENE STRIP SEALS
- The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03 showing that the neoprene strip seals meet the following:
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES FOR PREFORMED
ELASTOMERIC STRIP SEALS
PROPERTY REQUIREMENT TEST METHOD Tensile Strength, psi min 2000 D412 Elongation at Break, %, min 250 D412 Hardness, Type A Durometer, points 60 ± 5 D2240
Oven Aging, 70 hr at 212 F
Tensile Strength, % loss, max
Elongation, % loss, max
Hardness, Type A Durometer, points change
0 to + 10
Oil Swell, ASTM oil 3
70 hr at 212 F weight change,% max
45 D471 Ozone Resistance
20% strain, 300 pphm in air, 70 hr at 104 F
No Cracks D1149
Low Temperature Stiffening 7 days at 14 F
Hardness, Type A Durometer, points change
0 to + 15 D2240
D2240 (modified) (a)(c)
Compression Set, 70 hr at 212 F, % max 40 D395 Method
- (a) The term “modified” in the table relates to the specimen preparation. The use of the strip seal as the specimen source requires that more applications than specified in either of the modified test procedures be used. The specimen modification shall be agreed upon by the purchaser and producer or supplier prior to testing.
- (b) Test per procedure A of D518. Ozone concentration is expressed in pphm.
- (c) The hardness test shall be performed with the durometer in a durometer stand as recommended in D2240.
- 911.05.01 Special Molded Intersection Pieces. Where joint elements intersect, a special strip seal element manufactured by molding in one piece from neoprene material similar to that specified above shall be 10 in. from point of intersection to nearest end along center line of joint in any direction. Ends shall be plane and square to facilitate bonding to adjacent extruded areas, and corners of sharp angles shall be rounded sufficiently to relieve damaging stress concentrations. Angles to which moldings are fabricated shall be within 5 degrees of the actual angle as specified in the Contract Documents to avoid excessive deformation when installed in steel joint components.
- Lubricant adhesive for use in installing and bonding neoprene seal elements to steel joint components shall be one part moisture curing polyurethane and hydrocarbon solvent mixture having the following physical properties:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Average Weight, lb/gal 8 ± 0.8 Solids Content, % min 65 Adhesives shall remain liquid from, F 5 to 120 Film Strength, D412, psi min 2000 Elongation, D412, % min 250
- Steel extrusions and neoprene seals shall be matching components by the same manufacturer. The steel extrusions shall have a thickness of at least 3/8 in. All steel portions of the joint assembly shall be painted with an inorganic zinc rich primer meeting 912.03 and applied as specified in Section 435.
911.06 SEALER FOR LOOP DETECTOR
- Type A two part epoxy or Type B, one part polyurethane. The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03. Do not mix aggregate with the sealer material. Apply the sealer in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- 911.06.01 Tests. Meet to the following:
TYPE A – TWO PART EPOXY TEST PROPERTY TEST METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Viscosity, cone and plate Viscometer @ 25 C, cps max — 12 000 Pot life @ 25 C, minutes min — 10 Cure time @ 25 C, no tackiness, hr max — 1 Hardness, Type D durometer D2240 50 – 60 Tensile elongation, % min D638 100 Water absorption, %/24 hr max D570 0.5 Oil absorption, % max D471 0.02 Volume resistivity @ 25 C, ohm-cm min D257 2.4 x 1010 TYPE B - ONE PART POLYURETHANE TEST PROPERTY TEST METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Viscosity, Brookfield RVF #6 spindle @ 20 rpm 25 C, cps max — 30 000 Cure time @ 25 C, no tackiness, hr max — 24 Hardness, Rex Type A — 50 – 60 Tensile strength, psi min D412 500 Tensile elongation, % min 300 ARC resistance, sec min D495 70 Dielectric constant, min D150 6 @ 50 hz
4.25 @ 500 kHz
Nonvolatile content, % — 85
911.07 ROOFING PAPER
- Roofing paper used in expansion joints shall be composed of roofing felt saturated and coated on both sides with an asphaltic material. It shall weigh at least 39.8 lb/100 ft2 and not crack when bent 90 degrees over a 1/2 in. radius at room temperature.
911.08 WATER STOPS
- Rubber or polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Shall be of the shape and dimensions specified. The cross section shall be uniform along its length and transversely symmetrical so that the thickness at any given distance from either edge of the water stop is uniform.
- Shall meet the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Tensile Strength, D412, psi min 2000 Elongation @ Break, D412, % min 300 Hardness, Rubber, Type A durometer, D2240 55 ± 5 Hardness, PVC, Type A durometer, D2240 75 ± 5
- Furnish a test sample for each lot or shipment of water stop. The manufacturer shall furnish certification as specified in TC-1.03.
911.09 ASPHALT SEALER FOR CONCRETE PIPE
- A mixture of asphalt, mineral filler, and petroleum solvents, and having adhesive and cohesive properties. Each container shall be clearly marked with a lot number, manufacturer, and location of manufacturer.
- The supplier shall furnish a certified copy of the test results showing that the sealer meets the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Residues by evaporation, nonvolatile matter, D2939, % min 70 Inorganic filler on ignition, ash content, D2939, % 15 – 45
911.10 CLOSED CELL NEOPRENE SPONGE ELASTOMER
- D 1056, Type S. Skin coating is optional. The material shall meet the following:
TEST and METHOD SPECIFICATION LIMITS Compression Deflection, D1056 Pressure necessary for 25 % deflection, 5 – 10 psi, one layer 1/2 in. thick pad @ 70 ± 5 F Accelerated Aging Test Change in compression deflection after aging 7 days @ 158 F, 20 % max Permanent Set,*D1056 50 % deflection @ 158 F for 22 hr, 40 % max residual permanent set after 10 days recovery,10 % max Water Absorption by weight 2 in. immersion of 1.129 in. diameter sample for 24 hr @ room temperature, 10 % max Water Resistance, D1171 Quality retention, 6 weeks exposure, 100 %
- *Method to calculate permanent set:
- Permanent set = (t0 - t1)x 100/t0
- t0 = original thickness of sample, and
- t1 = thickness of specimen 30 minutes after removal of clamps or after 10 days recovery.
911.11 DRAINAGE TROUGHS
- 911.11.01 Neoprene Drainage Troughs. M 220, and the following:
NEOPRENE DRAINAGE TROUGHS PHYSICAL PROPERTY METHOD LIMITS Thickness, in. min — 1/4 Tensile Strength, psi min D412 2000 Elongation at Break, % min D412 250 Hardness, Type A Durometer D2240
60 ± 5 Compression Set, 22 hr @ 212 F, % max D395 35 Oven Aging, 70 hr @ 212 F Tensile Strength, % loss max D573 20 Elongation, % loss max 20 Hardness, Type A Durometer (points change) 0 to + 10
- 911.11.02 OPTIONAL PREFORMED FABRIC DRAINAGE TROUGHS. A sheet composed of multiple plies of 15 ± 5 oz/yd2 polyester fabric laminated with butadiene acrylonitrile, vulcanized to form an integral laminate. Physical properties of the laminate shall meet the following:
ALTERNATE PREFORMED FABRIC DRAINAGE TROUGHS PHYSICAL PROPERTY METHOD LIMITS No. of Plies — 3 Laminate Weight, lb/ft2 min — 0.85 Thickness, in. min — 5/32 Breaking Strength, lb/in. min D378 1200 Elongation at Break, % max D378 30 Elongation at 1/10 Breaking Strength, % max D378 3
911.12 SHIMS FOR NOISE BARRIER INSTALLATION
- Either neoprene or composite elastomer with a durometer of 60 ± 5 (Shore A) value.