912 COATING SYSTEMS FOR STRUCTURAL STEEL
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is not a legal document. Please see disclaimer for more information.
- The Office of Materials Technology (OMT) will maintain a list of Approved Paint Manufacturers. Only manufacturers on this list will be acceptable. Unless otherwise specified, paint shall be tested in accordance with Federal Test Method Standard 141. Only one formulation per color will be permitted per project. Tests shall be performed at 75 F and 50 percent relative humidity unless otherwise specified. All paint shall be satisfactory for brushing, rolling, or spraying. All paints within a system shall be from the same manufacturer and shall be tinted at the point of manufacture to differentiate between coats, existing coats, and bare metal. Paint shall be shipped in the original containers and all containers shall bear the identification of the paint, consisting of the manufacturer’s name, the name or title of material, volume of contents, manufacturer’s paint identification number, the date of manufacture, color name and number, handling instructions, precautions, and the batch number.
- 912.01.01 Approved Paint Manufacturers. Admission onto the list of Approved Paint Manufacturers will be based upon the acceptance of the manufacturer’s submitted Quality Control Plan.
- 912.01.02 Quality Control Plan. The Quality Control Plan shall define the manufacturer’s process to ensure the quality of the products during and upon completion of the manufacturing process. As a minimum, the Quality Control Plan shall list the following information:
- (a) Name of quality control tests and test procedures used.
- (b) Detailed description of the test procedures if not a standard test.
- (c) Frequency of quality control tests.
- (d) Maintenance of quality control records and length of time that they will be maintained.
- 912.01.03 Acceptance. The paint manufacturer shall furnish certified test results for each lot and color of paint as specified in TC-1.03. Certified test results for each lot shall list the actual test results for the specified properties. The certification shall be approved by OMT prior to shipment, and a copy shall accompany each shipment.
- 912.01.04 Original Infrared Spectrogram. The manufacturer shall submit an original analysis of vehicle solids by infrared spectroscopy performed as specified in D2621 as follows:
- (a) For zinc primer coatings, infrared spectrum (2.5 to 15 μm) of each vehicle component.
- (b) For two component coatings, infrared spectrum (2.5 to 15 μm) of each single component and each mixed component, when applicable, in appropriate mixing ratios.
- 912.01.05 Certification Verification Tolerances. The manufacturer’s facilities will be visited at random intervals, and samples will be taken. A comparison will be made between the manufacturer’s certified test results and the Administration’s tests results on the same batch. The tolerances between these results shall meet the following:
*Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) maximum limits shall meet the current regulations governing the point of application. TEST TOLERANCE TEST METHOD Total Solids by mass, % ±2 D2369 Pigment Content by mass, % ±2 D2698 or D4451 Vehicle Solids by mass, % ±2 D2369 Viscosity, KU ±10 D562 Unit Weight, lb/gal ±0.5 D1475
912.02 PRIMER COATS AND SEALERS
- 912.02.01 Inorganic Zinc Rich. M 300, Type I or IA. Zinc dust shall meet D520, Type II.
- 912.02.02 Aluminum Epoxy Mastic. Aluminum epoxy mastic primer shall have one component that is the condensation product of the reaction of epichlorohydrin with bisphenol A. Drying times shall be 8 hours maximum to touch, 24 hours minimum to 30 days maximum for recoat, and 48 hours maximum for hard. Minimum pot life shall be three hours. Solids by weight shall be 90 percent minimum and 80 to 90 percent by volume. Viscosity shall be 95 to 140 KU and flexibility shall pass a 180 degree bend around a 3/4 in. mandrel when tested per D522. The material shall resist sagging when tested per D4400 with no sagging at the manufacturer’s recommended wet film thickness. The material shall weigh 13.0 ± 0.5 lb/gal.
- 912.02.03 Organic Zinc Rich. SSPC-Paint 20, Type II.
- 912.02.04 Zinc Rich Moisture Cured Urethane. One-component having a minimum zinc pigment content in the dry film of 80 percent. Minimum solids shall be of 80 percent by weight and 62 percent by volume. The viscosity shall be 95 to 105 KU, and shall be capable of being applied at 50 percent greater film build than required without runs or sags per D4400. The interval for application of the next coat shall be 8 hours minimum and 30 days maximum. The coating shall also meet the Moisture Cured Urethanes Additional Performance Criteria Table except that the maximum loss for Abrasion Resistance shall be 82.0 mg, and Salt Spray after 1000 hours shall be 1/32 in. maximum.
- 912.02.05 Penetrating Sealer. Shall have a viscosity of 75 to 101 KU and be able to penetrate and seal existing coatings and substrate. It shall be suitable for application over marginally prepared steel and most generic types of aged coatings. The sealer shall conform to one of the following:
- (a) Epoxy penetrating sealer shall be cross-linked amido-amine epoxy primer/sealer having two components mixed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. It shall be a minimum of 95 percent solids by weight.
- (b) Moisture cured urethane micaceous iron oxide filled penetrating primer/sealer shall be one component having a minimum of 75 percent solids by weight. It shall also meet the Moisture Cured Urethanes Additional Performance Criteria Table.
912.03 INTERMEDIATE COATS
- 912.03.01 Acrylic. A single component 100 percent acrylic and have minimum solids of 48 percent by weight and 36 percent by volume. Maximum dry time to touch and recoat shall be 2 and 8 hours, respectively.
- 912.03.02 Epoxy Polyamide. Epoxy polyamide intermediate coat shall have one component that is the condensation product of the reaction of epichlorohydrin with bisphenol A. The epoxy polyamide shall have a 3.0 minimum fineness of grind (Hegman Units), and minimum solids of 75 percent by weight and 62 percent by volume. Maximum dry time to touch and recoat shall be 6 and 15 hours, respectively.
912.04 FINISH COATS
- The color number will be specified in the Contract Documents and shall conform to AMS-STD-595A. All finish coats shall resist sagging when tested per D4400 with no sagging at the manufacturer’s recommended wet film thickness.
- 912.04.01 Acrylic. Refer to 912.03.01.
- 912.04.02 Aliphatic Urethane. Finish coat shall have minimum solids of 70 percent by weight and 47 percent by volume. Drying time to touch and hard shall be the minimum recommended by the paint manufacturer.
- 912.04.03 Polyaspartic Urethane. Finish coat shall have a solids of 75-85 percent by weight and 65-75 percent by volume. Drying time to touch and hard shall be the minimum recommended by the paint manufacturer.
912.05 PAINT SYSTEMS
- As specified in the Paint Systems Table.
PAINT SYSTEMS TABLE PAINT COAT SECTION DRY FILM THICKNESS,
mils, min - max
USAGE SYSTEM A Inorganic Zinc I 912.02.01 3.0 - 5.0 Shop Primer Coat Acrylic II 912.03.01 2.0 - 4.0 First Intermediate Coat Acrylic III 912.04.01 2.0 - 4.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM B Inorganic Zinc I 912.02.01 3.0 - 5.0 Shop Primer Coat Epoxy Polyamide II 912.03.02 5.0 - 8.0 Intermediate Coat Aliphatic Urethane III 912.04.02 2.0 - 3.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM C Organic Zinc I 912.02.03 3.0 - 5.0 Primer Coat Epoxy Polyamide II 912.03.02 5.0 - 8.0 Intermediate Coat Aliphatic Urethane III 912.04.02 2.0 - 3.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM D Organic Zinc I 912.02.03 3.0 - 5.0 Primer Coat Acrylic II 912.03.01 2.0 - 4.0 Intermediate Coat Acrylic III 912.04.01 2.0 - 4.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM E Aluminum Epoxy Mastic I 912.02.02 5.0 - 8.0 Primer Coat Epoxy Polyamide II 912.03.02 5.0 - 8.0 Intermediate Coat Aliphatic Urethane III 912.04.02 2.0 - 3.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM F Zinc Rich Moisture
I 912.02.04 2.0 - 3.0 Primer Coat Polyaspartic Urethane II 912.04.03 6.0 - 9.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM G Zinc Rich Moisture Cured Urethane I 912.02.04 2.0 - 3.0 Primer Epoxy Polyamide II 912.03.02 3.0 - 5.0 Intermediate Coat Polyaspartic Urethane III 912.04.03 6.0 - 9.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM H Penetrating Sealer I 912.02.06 1.0 - 2.0 Sealer Aluminum Filled Epoxy Mastic II 912.02.02 3.0 - 5.0 Spot Intermediate Aliphatic Urethane III 912.04.02 3.0 - 5.0 Spot Finish SYSTEM I Organic zinc I 912.02.03 3.0 - 5.0 Primer Coat Polyaspartic Urethane II 912.04.03 6.0 - 9.0 Finish Coat SYSTEM J Organic zinc I 912.02.03 3.0 - 5.0 Primer Coat Epoxy Polyamide II 912.03.02 3.0 - 5.0 Intermediate Coat Polyaspartic Urethane II 912.04.03 6.0 - 9.0 Finish Coat
MOISTURE CURED URETHANES ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE CRITERIA TABLE TEST PROPERTY TEST METHOD TEST CRITERIA COAT I and II ENTIRE SYSTEM Cyclic Salt Fog/UV Exposure of Painted Metal D5894 Final Ratings:
Rusting: 6 min
Blistering: 10 min
Rust Creep: 6 max
Cracking: Degree and Type
Flaking: Degree and Type
1000 hr 3000 hr Salt Spray B117 1/32 in. Scribe, 1/16 in. max undercut 1000 hr 3000 hr Abrasion Resistance D4060 Taber Abraser, CS-17 Wheel, 1000 g load, 1000 cycles, max loss 100 mg 56 mg Adhesion D3359 Cross-Cut Tape Test No peeling or removal No peeling or removal Flexibility D522 Conical Mandrel Bend Test, min elongation 10 % 40 % Pencil Hardness D3363 min F F Accelerated Weathering G53 QUV using UV - B Lamp, time after no more than 10 % loss of gloss — 400 hr Impact Resistance D2794 min — 40 in.·lb Chemical Resistance, Solutions Fed. Spec. T-C-550 4.4.6 5 % Sodium Hydroxide
5 % Hydrochloric Acid
5% Sulfuric Acid
5 % Acetic Acid
— Unaffected - Slight discoloration permitted Reversed Impact D2794 Rapid Deformation — No cracking or delamination